- Named Louisiana Family Doctor of the Year in 2007 by the Louisiana Academy of Family Physicians.
- Received the 2008 American Medical Association Foundation Leadership Award.
- Received 2009 'Defender of Economic Freedom Award' from Club for Growth.
- Named ‘Defender of Liberty’ by American Conservative Union in 2009.
- Received 'Spirit of Enterprise' award from U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
- Received Guardian of Small Business Award from the National Federation of Independent Business.
- Received Congress Tax Fighter Award by the National Tax Limitation Committee.
- Named "Champion of Transportation" by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials.
- Previously served as President of the Minden Medical Center Medical Staff, the Webster Parish chapter of the American Heart Association, the Webster Parish Medical Society, and Secretary and President-elect of the Louisiana Academy of Family Physicians.
- Published book on preventing drug and alcohol addiction among children.
- Received Navy commendations for chairing the Family Advocacy Committee 1981 and for reorganizing and increasing outpatient care capacity in the Charleston Naval district.